Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Join Team Zero

Well, today sure has been an eye-opener here at 'Rocks HQ. First of all, how many times do we have to say that this site was not set-up by coke (or any other company), before you believe us? Anyway guys, it's your issue, I guess.

All the negativity did get me thinking this, though...

Why can't everyone go for the same team?

For as long as I can remember I've been a passionate cricket fan. It started with my dad taking to the SCG as a kid and watching the fantastic contests between our boys and teams like the West Indies or India. The Aussies weren't the powerhouse team that they are now and I got a real appreciation for hard work and grit from the efforts of Alan Border and Marshy. Anyway, apart from big trip OS a few years ago, I've always been at least one game of cricket during the summer. This year me and the boys thought we'd do the patriotic thing, paint our faces, grab some Aussie flags and really get behind the team.

It was an absolute blast. I'd never thought I'd wear make-up, but it felt pretty good emblazening the flag of the country I love across my face. I lot of the guys were commenting on just how emotional it made them and we made a pact not to tell our girlfriends about – oops! Sorry, guys. Anyway, we got to the game and, at least at the start, had a great time. Singing songs and cheering Gilly, Punter and all the boys. They were fielding first and we even got a few cheeky waves from them in recognition of our antics.

Then, sadly, things went down hill. A bit behind us was a group of people barraking for the other team (Sri Lanka). Anyway, things were going good for their team and they wouldn't stop singing or dancing. The singing, I gotta say, was not in English and we had no idea what they were on about. Stevie, who by that stage had had a few and was annoyed that the Aussies weren't doing so great on the field, stood up and asked the group where they are from and suggested they might go back there. It was pretty funny and we all laughed – it provided a real comedic relief from what was going on on the field. The response, though, blew me away, 'from here!' they happily chortled. I couldn't believe it. Born and bred in the best country on earth and they were supporting our enemy? It put a real dampener on the whole event. Then it hit me like a bolt from the blue, let's pull a Murali on them if they like him so much. Suffice to say we CHUCKED a whole heap of rubbish in their direction and everyone in our area found it really amusing. One thing led to another and we ended up having an early night, but that didn't stop us singing Waltzing Matilda, loud and proud, on the train home.

Anyway, call me crazy, wouldn't life be so much better if we all went for the same team? Wouldn't that lead to zero worries and zero arguments? Zero times being ejected from a venue for a friendly bit of banter with opposing fans? If everyone thought the same things, then there'd be zero wars, zero problems and we could spend our lives just 'living' and having a good time! You know, I think I'm onto something here...

Jase

5 Comments:

Anonymous Zac said...

hey guys, when are you going to join the real movement, the zero coke movement?

7:20 pm AEDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there is anyone in the world that I would like to see on amateur video, wearing an orange jumpsuit you are most definitely it. You take the meaning of wanker to such a level that they may even have to reserve the word exclusively for you.

7:21 pm AEDT  
Anonymous voice of reason said...

Prove to me the stuff DOESN'T cause cancer, or at least eat the paint off a car first.

9:05 pm AEDT  
Anonymous Bradley Dow said...

"... how many times do we have to say that this site was not set-up by coke (or any other company), before you believe us?" Well, here's what would satisfy me: reproductions, posted on or linked to from this blog, of statutory declarations signed in your real names, in which you state definitively that you aren't in the employ of/receiving payments from Coca-Cola or any other affiliated/related company or organisation (such as an advertising agency or marketing & promotions firm). Anything less, and I'll just have to continue assuming you're a couple of corporate shills. So how about it, "Jase" and "Dave"?

9:10 pm AEDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you must be American...

12:16 pm AEDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home