Thursday, February 02, 2006

Breaking down the (cubicle) walls...

I want to tell you guys about something that happened to me last week. You could say, it's what started me on this big zero movement adventure. I was at my regular sushi joint (hi Jim!) grabbing a quick lunch. Quick, because I had an 'important' (to who?) report due that afternoon and was under the pump. I went to grab my usual accompaniment to Jim's delicious teriyaki beef sushi rolls (a coke) and noticed that sitting next to the red and white-labeled bottle was a new addition to the family. It looked like a pretty cool idea, zero sugar and great taste, so I gave it a go.

On the way back to the office I noticed a poster for coke zero and noted the zero movement website address. At that stage, I don't think I ever intended to go there, but when I tried the drink, I was blown away that something could have zero sugar and still taste the way it does. Impressed, I typed in www.thezeromovement.com and I've gotta say, it was a pretty special experience. The manifesto made a lot of sense, but when I got reading the stuff on the blog, that's when I knew that the zero movement was for me.

The post that Carl did about just leaving the office for the afternoon was really inspiring. In fact, I was about to do just that - leave for the day and catch a film, when my boss came by and bugged me for the report for the seventh time since midday. I was stuck, but what I've found is that the power of zero strikes when you need it most. I was sitting there, sipping coke zero and alternating looks between my PC screen, and the cubicle walls that seemed to be moving in on me closer and closer each day. Enough was enough.

I got up out of my seat and ripped my cage out of its hinges. You know what I saw then? People. People I work with that I'd never really spoken to before.


The expressions on their faces were priceless. I had a wry smile on my face and said to them 'we're breaking free today, guys'. A couple of them cracked-up laughing, others just sat there staring at me. Anyway, between chatting with my co-workers and getting comfortable in my new surroundings, I managed to get the report done. My boss was even pretty impressed with it. The best part of it was that I made some new mates that day, a couple of guys named Nick and Sam who were impressed with my antics. When they asked me why I did it, I just gave them the zero movement's website address. After a few minutes of browsing they were signed, sealed and delivered members of the zero movement, too. I've invited them to my place this weekend to catch-up over a few cold ones, so who knows what type of mischief we'll get up to (hey Dave, they'll be at mine at 3, that still cool for you?).

That's the power of zero, if you're not with us, you're against us.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave Zero said...

No worries, 3pm is fine with me. I'll bring my cricket set around - maybe we can have a bit of a hit? I lent the set of stumps to my cousin Mick, but I'm sure we'll work out something. Cheers, Dave.

7:14 pm AEDT  
Blogger Lucy Tartan said...

I am against you, as I am against all lame-o corporate wankers.

10:04 am AEDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either you're advertising jerks or you're wannabe advertising jerks. Hmmm... Either way, I'm against you, too.

11:16 am AEDT  
Anonymous antimatter said...

yes I too have found enlightenment in a can of sugar free cancer water! see you at the sushi bar dudes! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

12:13 pm AEDT  
Anonymous Gazza said...

i'd like to be with you, AND against you, if you know what i mean ;-)

i wanna photo of dave zero to go in my 'bank,' or to inspire while i'm leaving deposits at that other 'bank'...

hmmmmmmmm... i'd like to lick coke zero off his manly stomach

4:05 pm AEDT  
Blogger lgws said...

can i join you guys in a game of cricket? sounds like awesome fun! first, i'll tell my boss i'm taking a "sick of work" day, and then once i pick up my cheque from centrelink i'll be round to hit the pipe with you guys... cya soon!

4:25 pm AEDT  
Blogger jes said...

Ohmigosh! How can I resist such faked story-telling?

Wanktards.

6:06 pm AEDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home